A migraine is considerably more than a bad headache. This neurological disease can cause crippling pounding pain that can leave you in bed for quite a long time! Movement, light, sound, and different triggers may cause symptoms like pain, tiredness, nausea, visual disturbances, numbness, tingling, difficulty speaking, temporary loss of vision, and many more.
A growing body of research proposes that CBD may help relieve pain, especially neurological pain, connected with different conditions . In particular, CBD oil helps in the treatment for migraine, as per the American Migraine Foundation report. While they acknowledge that no scientific evidence demonstrates that CBD is an effective treatment, they bring up that this might be because of an overall lack of formal research into CBD. Lets jump into how using CBD for migraine helpful:
Symptoms of Migraine
The symptoms of migraine may begin one to two days before the headache itself. This is known as the prodrome stage. Symptoms during this stage can include:
- Food Cravings
- Fatigue or low energy
- Frequent Yawning
- Neck Stiffness
In migraine with aura, the aura occurs after the prodrome stage. During an aura, you may have issues with your vision, sensation, movement, and speech. Instances of these issues include:
- Difficulty in speaking clearly
- Feeling a prickling or tingling sensation in your face, arms, or legs
- Seeing shapes, light flashes, or bright spots
- Temporarily losing your vision
The next phase is known as the attack phase. This is the most acute or severe of the phases when the actual migraine pain occurs. In certain individuals, this can overlap or occur during an aura. The symptoms of the attack phase can last from hours to days. Symptoms of a migraine can vary from person to person. Some symptoms may include:
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Dizziness or feeling faint
- Pain on one side of your head, either on the left side, right side, front, or back.
- Pulsing and Throbbing Head Pain
After the attack phase, an individual will frequently experience the postdrome phase. During this phase, there are usually changes in mood and feelings. These can range from feeling euphoric and extremely happy, to feeling fatigued and apathetic. A mild, dull headache may persist.
Check out our product: Pet Tincture
Causes and Triggers
The exact cause of migraine is unknown yet they’re believed to be the result of abnormal brain activity temporarily affecting nerve signals, chemicals and blood vessels in the brain. It’s not clear what causes this change in brain activity however it’s possible that your qualities make you more likely to experience migraines as a result of a specific trigger.
Migraine triggers include:
- Hormonal changes, for instance, around the time of menstruation
- Emotional triggers, such as stress, depression, anxiety, and excitement.
- Dietary factors, including alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, cheese, citrus fruits, and foods containing the additive tyramine.
- Medications, such as sleeping pills, hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and some birth control pills
- Environmental factors, including flickering screens, strong smells, used smoke, loud noises, stuffy rooms, temperature changes, and bright lights.
CBD For Migraine
CBD may ease pain since it influences specific receptors in the brain. These receptors are part of the wider endocannabinoid system which plays a major role in pain and inflammation throughout the body. Research has linked medical cannabis with the following effects, which are relevant to migraine treatment:
- Pain Relief
- Easing Nausea
- Reducing Inflammation
- Anticonvulsant Effects
However, there has been very limited research into the safety and effectiveness of cannabis, or CBD explicitly, for migraine — incompletely because of legal restrictions on research including the cannabis plant. In a 2017 review of studies, scientists noticed that cannabis may help treat migraine.
Anyone with migraine should speak with a doctor, who can make specific recommendations about the right approach to treatment. Also, you can use different CBD products to get rid of the symptoms of migraine.